Sunday, April 12, 2009

Just What the Doctor Ordered





Well folks this week's menu is a little sad.  I have been very sick and stuck with eating applesauce and plain toast.  YUK!  I am on the mend now and was able to make one dinner last week.  I really needed something with some substance but that wouldn't upset my stomach too much.  I searched the cabinets and had almost everything I needed for Corn Chowder.  It was just what the doctor ordered.  Well not actually, the doctor was the one who ordered applesauce and plain toast.  I guess it was just what Dr. Andrea ordered.  The bacon is a very flavorful addition but if you don't eat meat another good topper would be chives or thinly sliced green onions.    
1. Corn Chowder
Modified from Cabbage Town Cafe Cookbook
makes 4 - 6 servings

3 potatoes, scrubbed well
3 T butter
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 carrots, diced
3 celery stalks, diced
3 cups fresh or frozen corn
1/2 t dried marjoram (or 2 t fresh, finely chopped)
1/2 t dried or fresh thyme
1/4 t paprika
1/4 t black pepper
1 t kosher salt
about 2 cups milk
4 slices bacon, chopped and cooked until crispy

Dice the potatoes into 1/2" cubes.  Cook in enough water to cover until cooked but still slightly firm about 10-15 minutes after the water boils.  Meanwhile, in a soup pot, melt the butter.  Add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery and cook until the vegetables are cooked but not too soft.  Add the corn and cook 10 minutes more.  Add the herbs, spices and salt and cook for 2-3 minutes more.  When the potatoes are done cooking blend them with the cooking water and enough milk to make a good serving consistency (I like mine to be pretty thick).  Add the blended mixture to the soup pot and heat to serving temperature.  Top with the bacon.  

*A note on the potatoes.  I like to blend all of the potatoes because I don't care for chunks of potatoes in my soup but for a more traditional chowder only blend half of the potatoes and leave the rest in chunks.  

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comments:

Elaine said...

Hey Andrea! Your chocolate raspberry cakes look amazing. I have to make them sometime soon. We loved the turkey burgers and you got my simple salad recipe just right! We'll have to do dinner again soon. Thanks again!