Thursday, May 7, 2009

Leaving on a Jet Plane

I am off for vacation for 10 days staring tomorrow and I wanted to get this post up before we leave.  I have not seen my family in over a year and I am so excited!  Especially to see my little niece and nephew who just turned 4 and 2.  The one thing gets me through going so long without them seeing them is video chatting.  Although it can sometimes be a little glitchy, it is, for the most part, easy and fun!  It makes me feel like I have seen them, or been with them, rather.  So, the menu this week is a little short but it's a good one!  Two out of the three are things I have had my eye on for some time but never gotten around to making before.

    
Jer's best friend was in town at the beginning of the week and requested (jokingly) a new recipe for the blog.  I was happy to oblige, especially after he told me about google sites (which was the perfect solution for indexing the blog recipes, see the new link on the side bar!) and help me get it set up.  (It is still somewhat under construction but eventually you will be able to search by dietary restrictions, ingredients, whatever!)

1. Bacon Wrapped Pork Tenderloin and Green Beans with Almond and Lemon Brown Butter
modified from Real Simple
makes 4 servings

For the Pork:
1 pork tenderloin (about 1 lb)
kosher salt and black pepper
4 sprigs fresh thyme
4-6 slices bacon
1 T olive oil

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Pat the pork dry with paper towels.  Season with salt and pepper.  Top the pork with the thyme and wrap it with the bacon.  Heat the oil in a large cast iron skillet.  (I used my dutch oven and had to cut the tenderloin in half to get it to fit.)  Add the pork and cook for 2 minutes per side.  Transfer to oven and roast for 20 to 25 minutes (until it reaches 155 degrees inside).  Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.

For the Green Beans:
1 lb green beans, trimmed
3 T unsalted butter
2 t fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup unsalted roasted almonds, chopped
kosher salt

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add the green beans and cook until just tender, 4-6 minutes.  Drain and transfer to a serving bowl.  Meanwhile brown the butter follow the instructions found here).  Add the lemon juice, almonds and about 1/4 t salt.  Swirl skillet over heat for 30 seconds more to toast the almonds.  Spoon the mixture over the green beans.   

~~~
      
This recipe is simple and delicious.  It does take a little while to roast the zucchini but it is so good.  I love the little bit of spiciness from the red pepper flakes.

2. Ravioli with Roasted Zucchini
from real simple
makes 4 servings

4 small zucchini, sliced into 1/4" rounds
2 T olive oil
1 t dried red chili flakes
2/3 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 t black pepper
2 T kosher salt
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 ld cheese ravioli
3 T chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  
Place the zucchini in a large baking dish in a single layer and drizzle with the oil, chili flakes, and 3 T of the Parmesan, then season with the pepper and 1/2 t of the salt.  Add the garlic and roast for 20 minutes, until tender and just golden brown.  
Meanwhile, add the ravioli and the remaining salt to the boiling water.  Return to a boil, stirring frequently.  Cook the ravioli for 3 minutes after they begin to float.  Drain and toss gently with the zucchini, half the parsley and half the remaining Parmesan.  Serve with the remaining parsley and Parmesan.  

~~~

I took my 7th ARE exam today and as I said a couple of weeks ago I like to have fish the night before.  I'm sure it doesn't really do that much for me but I just like the routine of it.  Mostly I think it helps calm my nerves.  This looked good but then as I was making it I was a little turned off.  It actually came out delicious and I am sure I will make it again!

3. Salmon with Dijon Dill Sauce
from Real Simple
makes 4 servings

4 6 oz. salmon fillets, skin removed
1/2 t kosher salt
1 T olive oil
3 T unsalted butter, cold
1 small shallot, finely chopped
1/2 cup white wine
1 T Dijon mustard
2 T roughly chopped fresh dill
1/8 t black pepper

Set broiler on high.  Place the salmon on a foil lined baking sheet and season with 1/4 t salt.  Broil until the salmon is the same color throughout and flakes easily, about 7-10 minutes.  
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, over medium0high heat, heat the oil and 1 T of the butter until it melts.  Add the shallot and cook until softened, about 1 minute.  Add the wine and cook until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.  Reduce heat to low and whisk in the mustard, dill, pepper and the remaining salt.  Remove from heat.  Cut the remaining butter into pieces, add to the sauce, and whisk until Incorporated.  Spoon the sauce over the top of the salmon.  

~~~ 


Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Garden Tool User said...

great recipe, I will try it when I get home! :)

Lydia Karstin said...

i love your blog!
mind if i ask how you acheived the beautiful layout? i'm a fellow blogger and would love to learn how you make your blog look so stunning!

Andrea said...

Thanks Lydia! I really appreciate your kind words (I looked at your blogs and they are beautiful too, especially your photography!). Simplicity was my main goal. My whole design esthetic is very simple and clean. I started from a blogger template (I think it was minima?) and then I tweaked it slightly. I made the header space larger and the body wider and I changed some of the font colors. I designed the header and the photo "frames" in photoshop. The one other thing is, I remove the automatic border from the photos for each post. I really don't know that much about how to edit the layout using html, I just learned what I needed to by searching google. I am a designer by trade and I really wanted my blog to reflect that, I am glad that you like it and took the time to tell me!

~Andrea