Monday, June 8, 2009

The Repeater

I was feeling in a bit of a rut and I realized that it was because I was making a ton of new food each week and I just needed to make some familiar things.  Funny, that seems a little backward from what most people would consider a rut.  Well anyway, it was satisfying to return to some familiar items, but that didn't stop me from doing a little experimenting...

~~~

I have been wanting to try making french toast with a little orange extract in the eggs but I didn't know if Jer would like it or not.  Well, one night last week I was just cooking for myself and I decided to give it a go.  It was awesome!  I think next time I will even add a little bit more.  Note that the amounts below are somewhat approximate, the one tip I have that my mom taught me is that when you are making french toast use one egg for each serving plus one.    

1. Orange Scented French Toast with Mixed Berries
makes 1 serving

2 slices sandwich bread, cut in half
2 eggs
~1 0z milk
a couple drops of orange extract (you could also use vanilla but then it wouldn't be "orange scented")
dash cinnamon
dash nutmeg
fresh or frozen mixed berries , thawed if using frozen

Heat a skillet over medium high heat.  Mix together the eggs, milk, extract,  cinnamon and nutmeg.  Soak the bread thoroughly and arrange in the skillet.  Cook, turning once until nicely browned on both sides.  Serve with the mixed berries and maple syrup and whipped cream if desired.  
  
~~~

I learned last weekend, while he was helping out with some yard work at our house, that a friend of ours is a bit of a mac & cheese connoisseur so I invited him over for the stove top version I make to say thanks.  I also had a pork tenderloin left over from the week before because they had been buy one get one free and I thought it would be a good accompaniment.

2. Pork Medallions with Stovetop Mac & Cheese and Broccoli
makes 4 servings

For the Pork:
2 T all-purpose flour
1 t ground cumin
1 t kosher salt
1 t black pepper
1 1/2 - 2 lb pork tenderloin, sliced into 1/2" slices
1 T vegetable oil
1 T butter
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 T white wine vinegar
coarse ground mustard 

Heat the vegetable oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Mix together the flour, cumin, salt and pepper on a large plate.  Lightly coat each piece of pork with the flour mixture and place in the skillet.  Cook until golden brown and crispy, 4-5 minute per side.  While the pork is cooking whisk together the broth and vinegar.  Remove the pork from the skillet and set aside.  Pour the broth mixture into the skillet and scrape up any browned bits.  Bring to a boil and cook until slightly thickened.  Serve the pork with the sauce and the mustard.

~~~
 
This dish makes great leftovers for lunches and is a great way to disguise a lot of veggies if you have a picky eater in the house who doesn't really like them.  

makes 4-6 servings

~~~

The only thing I would change next time I make this is to make the meatballs a lot smaller.  I think that is more traditional too.  I love the escarole in this which is something I have never really worked with before.

make 4 servings

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comments:

Unknown said...

yumieee.. i wanna to try your food... it's look so delicious.

nice blog and nice info

--
greetings,
Gusnawi
http://acne-treatment-and-remedies.blogspot.com/