Saturday, June 5, 2010

Chicken Vindaloo

This is actually my menu from two weeks ago which I never got around to posting and it is a lot more exciting than the menu from last week. It is a nice mix of fresh summery meals and some heartier fare. This menu make lots of leftovers too (if you are only cooking for two). Enjoy!

THE MENU:
Crockpot Chicken Vindaloo

I spotted this on foodgawker and followed the link over to Chaos in the Kitchen and can I just say, oh my.... It was delicious and tasted just like what we get from our favorite Indian restaurant in town. And the prep was easy as can be. I did vary things a bit, added a few more veggies and served with a brown basmatti rice. She has a recipe for garlic naan over there too which I was too lazy to make this time but definitely have on the list now. It sounds pretty easy and I have no excuse for not trying it.

Crockpot Chicken Vindaloo
makes 4 servings

1 onion, diced
1 cup fresh green beans, trimmed to 1-2" lengths
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
2 small yellow potatoes, scrubbed and diced into 1/2" pieces
1 lb chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced or grated
2 cups tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp ground cumin
2 tbsp ground mustard
1 1/2 tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp kosher salt (or to taste)
fresh cilantro or parsley

Layer onion, green beans, peas, potatoes, chicken, garlic, and ginger in crock pot.

In a separate bowl, combine tomato sauce and all spices. Stir to mix well. Taste tomato sauce and salt as desired. Pour sauce mixture into crock pot.

Cover crock pot and cook on low 5 hours.

Before serving roughly chop a bunch of fresh cilantro or parsley and toss gently into crock pot.
Garnish with more cilantro or parsley and serve with basmati rice and garlic naan if desired.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks wonderful. I am new to your blog and have spent some time reading your earlier posts. I wanted you to know I love your recipes and will be back as often as I can to see what you've been cooking. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

JackyKayHood said...

Thanks Andrea. We love vindaloo. Maybe I can get Dave to make this. Otherwise I will have to wait till it's my week to cook.